- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below and listening to the audio.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
This can either be a verb – to sprain, an adjective – sprained, or a noun – a sprain. It is a word used to describe a common injury in football. A sprain is an injury that happens when a joint has been twisted or stretched and a ligament has been damaged. To sprain your ankle means to twist your ankle and damage the ligament. The most common sprain is to the ankle – the joint between the foot and the lower leg.
- Example: Mikel Arteta suffered a badly sprained ankle in a tackle with Demba Ba.
- Example: Mikel Arteta has been ruled out for Arsenal’s next two games after spraining an ankle during Tuesday’s fiery Champions League qualifier