- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below and listening to the audio.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
When a team is badly defeated or thrashed we sometimes use the noun ‘a hiding‘ to describe this defeat. The team received a hiding or the team were given a hiding. Synonyms for this noun include a thrashing, a heavy defeat or a trouncing.
- Example: Manchester United were given a hiding by lowly MK Dons in the Capital One Cup this week.
- Example: The manager was fired after is team received yet another hiding at the weekend.