Here are some words and phrases you can hear on languagecaster’s Full Podcast’s Good, Bad and Ugly section – a review of the footballing news. For more English practice check out our worksheets and English for football phrases as well as the Learners’ Podcast.
- crucial – vital, important
Ryan Giggs scored the crucial second goal in Manchester United’s 2-0 win.
- to tip to go down – to predict a team will be relegated
Damon had tipped Fulham to go down all year.
- By the skin of their teeth – just about, miraculously, luckily
Fulham escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth yet again.
- To crush opponents – to beat a team heavily, to thrash a team
Hull crushed their opponents 6-1.
- sour grapes – to be bitter
The Birmingham Chairman was full of sour grapes after his side’s relegation.
- To blow a chance – to miss out on an opportunity
Inter blew another chance to win the Scudetto when they drew against Siena.
- To be hammered – to be thrashed, crushed, beaten heavily
Manchester City were hammered 8-1 by Middlesbrough.
- To garner – to collect
Derby have garnered so many unwanted records this year.
- To clash with – to fight against
Rangers fans clashed with police after the UEFA Cup final.
- To come back from the dead – to make a remarkable comeback.
America came back from the dead against Flamengo in the Copa Libertadores.
- Away goals – in knock-out competitions a goal scored away from home can count double in the event of a draw.
Atlas have two away goals after drawing at Boca Juniors.