- dead ball – a free kick, corner or penalty
David Beckham did not score from a dead ball situation last week but rather from open play.
- To bounce back – to come back after a defeat
LA Galaxy bounced back with a win after their opening 4-0 loss.
- Fiery character – a strong temperament, short-tempered
Alex Ferguson and Hugo Sanchez are both fiery characters.
- To be relegated – to move down a division
Derby have been relegated from the Premier League.
- Match fixing – when players try to illegally win money on a match by not trying.
There have been allegations of match fixing in the Premier League.
- Leg – tie, match
The second legs of the quarter finals of the Champions League take place this week.
- Bottle – courage
Galatasaray will need a lot of bottle to beat Chelsea.
- Nemesis – a team that another team always loses to
Liverpool are Chelsea’s nemesis in the Champions League.
- to nick a goal – to steal a goal
If Liverpool nick a goal early on they might win.
- Mouth watering – to be tempting, to be eagerly awaited
Manchester United versus Barcelona is a mouth watering prospect.
- To be in with a shout – to have a chance
Fenerbahce are in with a shout of winning.
- Outfit – team
The Premiership outfit will win 1-0.
- To have their tails up – to be playing well, to be confident
Villareal have their tails up at the moment.
- To buckle under the pressure
Villareal will buckle under the pressure against Sevilla.
- To have points docked – to have points removed for doing something wrong.
Cagliari have had 3 points docked for an earlier transgression.
- To wobble – to not be playing well
Barcelona are wobbling at the moment.
- To be elated – to be delighted
Damon was elated after the draw in the Champions League.