Here are some of the words and phrases that we used on this week’s show.
You can practise the vocabulary with our online crosswords and quizzes here
Also, check out the BBC’s football vocabulary page here
- appointment (from to appoint) – the giving of a job (to give a job)
The big story this week is the appointment of Fabio Capello, the Italian, who is going to be in charge of England.
- thoroughly – completely, absolutely
I think Kaka winning the World Player of the Year award was thoroughly deserved.
- altitude – height (above sea level)
It’s bad for all those South American countries that rely on altitude in their World Cup Qualifiers.
- to take over -to gain control of
When Ronald Koeman took over Valencia were four points behind the leaders.
- rowing – arguing, quarelling
There is rowing all over the club (Valencia) and there are rumours that Koeman is going to get the sack.
- burlesque dancers – dancers in a variety show, who usually take off their clothes
Manchester United had some burlesque dancers at their Christmas party.
- arch-rival – huge rival
Kevin Keegan lost his job with England after losing to their arch-rivals Germany in 2000.
- the glare of publicity – in the spotlight, in the public eye,
He has been married for 40 years and is used to the glare of publicity having worked at some of the biggest clubs in football.
- be on a downer – be depressed
You said Lyon would be on a downer after demolishing Rangers
- postponed – moved to another, later, date
The Ajax vs PSV match was postponed because of a police strike.
- demolition of – inflicting a big defeat on
I’m going to go for a Barcelona 3-1 demolition of Real Madrid