Here are some of the words and phrases that we used on this week’s show.
You can practise the vocabulary with our online crosswords and quizzes here
Also, check out the BBC’s football vocabulary page here
- Crash out – to fail, to lose in a competition often by a surprising result
Rangers crashed out of the Champions league.
- kick out of – throw out of, eject from, stop something
When are Roma going to be kicked out of the Champions League.
- gulf – gap, space
The gulf between the top four clubs in the Premier League and the rest is huge.
- barely – scarcely, only just
Before 1992, football was barely seen on British television.
- flock – gather in large numbers like birds
Crowds flocked to the new stadia being built.
- at the heart of – at the centre of
Sky was at the heart of all of football’s popularity.
- wield – use power, hold and use a weapon
There are many concerns at the power that Murdoch’s channel wields.
- dodgy – not reliable, unsafe
Arsenal have hit a bit of dodgy form.
- run away with – in sport, to win comfortably or easily
Lyon are running away with the league in France.
- to tip – to predict, give advice
I tipped Bremen to do well, but they lost last week.