In our third Languagecaster.com podcast Damon and Damian look back at some of the main football news of the week. Damon will give his verdict on Liverpool’s start to the season, while they also speak to Paul, a Manchester United fan. There is also a worksheet for this report (complete with answers) which can be downloaded here.
- Check out our predictions for week 3 here
- The vocabulary for this week’s main report can be found here
- Listen to our English for football phrase – dark horse
- Listen only to the main report here – the transcript and vocabulary will help you understand key phrases and improve your language skills
- Learners of English can also review the footballing news from around the world in the good, the bad and the ugly section
- Football glossary – this is a huge collection of football vocabulary, football cliches and football phrases with definitions and examples. If you can’t find a phrase you want to understand, send us an email or comment and we’ll try to explain it for you.
- You can also discuss any football language questions you may have on our forums
Transcript: Fan’s view – Liverpool By Damon Brewster
Liverpool’s season came crashing down to earth after barely getting airborne at Arsenal’s Emirates stadium last weekend. Their home form had seen put them on a five-game winning streak, but playing away again exposed Liverpool’s fragile defence and impotent attack. That’s one goal on the road this season. Dismal
Tottenham only have two. Has it come to being compared with the toothless team from Tottenham that Liverpool trounced 3-0 at Anfield? I’m afraid it has. Liverpool surely now are in a fight to finish in the top six and must count Bolton, Aston Villa, Everton and Tottenham as their rivals and watch as Arsenal, Chelsea and
Manchester United soar into the top spots.
The praise that was rightly lavished on Liverpool and their manager after their tremendous 2005 Champions league victory cannot see them through this season. Last year they finished a flattering nine points behind Chelsea and had us hoping that this was the season where the league title was a possibility. Oh how wrong we
were. Apart from Kuyt none of the summer signings seem to be making any impact. Particularly the two ‘wide’ men, Bellamy and Pennant, haven’t delivered the promised width, and, perhaps more seriously, Benitez seems unable to swallow humble pie and make some straightforward changes that would surely benefit the team. Here are some questions he needs to deal with: how long will he have faith in Reina in goal; is it time to drop Hyypia whose lack of pace is a real weakness; will he start fielding a settled side instead of rotating his players seemingly every game; and the biggest question of all, can he keep Gerrard on the wide, when his captain wants
to influence the game from the middle? Unless these problems are addressed Liverpool’s season might just turn into a plane crash.
A podcast is like a radio show that you can hear on your computer or your mp3 player (e.g. an i-pod). There are different ways of listening to our football podcasts: