The 2017-18 football season in Europe is now over and after our reviews on the Champions League final and Liverpool and Tottenham’s season we take a look back at some of the big news at the business end of the seasons around Europe in this report. For this audio report there is a worksheet (with answers) and a transcript, great for learners and teachers of English, which can both be accessed by becoming a patron (through Patreon). If you have questions or comments, email us at: email@example.com (Damian=DF).
Patreon – Support Learning English Through Football
Transcript of the show (28th May 2018)
Learn English through Football Podcast: 2018 End of Season Review
DF: You are listening to languagecaster.com’s football-language podcast. Welcome everyone to the podcast for all those interested in improving their English skills and who love the beautiful game of football.
My name is Damian and I am based in London, while my colleague Damon is in Tokyo although he won’t be with us today. Now the domestic seasons – the 2017-18 seasons – have come to an end around Europe and we wanted to round up some of the big stories from the end of some of these seasons and that’s why we have published this extra podcast: our end-of-season review. Now, this audio is available to all listeners and subscribers to our podcasts but we have some extras for this podcast that are only available to our patrons – those who follow us through patreon. So, for this end of season review we have a transcript and a worksheet, complete with answers, which we think will be really useful for both teachers and learners of English. Just click on the Patreon button to subscribe to access this and all our other previous material. Thank you.
Let’s start with a quiz.
- Which two teams faced each other in the 2018 English FA Cup final?
- Which team won the UEFA Women’s Champions League this season? Which team did they defeat in the final?
- Which three teams were relegated from the top flight of English football?
- Which three teams were promoted to the Premier League this season?
- Can you name the champions in the following countries:
We will be mentioning these teams throughout the podcast. OK, let’s start with the English FA Cup.
FA Cup Winners
The 2018 FA Cup final…
To read the rest of the transcript and access the worksheet (and answers) become a Languagecaster.com patron.
- You can also listen to our review of the 2018 Champions League final: the good, the bad and the ugly
- Listen to Damon and myself talking about Liverpool and Tottenham’s 2017-18 seasons in our final podcast of the season.
We will be back soon with a whole host of resources based on the 2018 World Cup, including podcasts, quizzes, explanations of football vocabulary and worksheets, as well as our 2018 World Cup predictions competition. Remember that you can contact us or follow us via our email at firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.