This is our eighth season at Languagecaster.com, and on this week’s Learn English through Football Podcast for learners of English we have three sections. First, in the main report section, Damon looks at the three clubs that have been promoted to the Premier League. This 2013-2014 season, Cardiff City, Hull City and Crystal Palace all will be fighting to avoid the drop. In our regular English for football section, we introduce the football phrase ‘curtain raiser‘. This phrase is used at the start of the footballing season. In the last section of the show, we feature several games from the Premier League, focusing on the three new teams as well as an interesting game between Swansea and last year’s title winners, Manchester United. Games from La Liga and the Bundesliga complete the predictions section.
- Listen only to the main report here – the transcript, worksheet and vocabulary will help you understand key phrases and improve your language skills
- Check out our predictions for week 1 here
- Listen to this week’s football phrase ‘curtain raiser’ here
- Learn English by asking a footballing question or questions about the English language in our forum section
- Football glossary – this is a huge collection of football vocabulary, football cliches and football phrases with definitions and examples. If you can’t find a phrase you want to understand, send us an email or comment and we’ll try to explain it for you.
Listen to Languagecaster.com’s football podcast
A podcast is like a radio show that you can hear on your computer or your mp3 player (e.g. an i-pod). There are different ways of listening to our football podcasts: