Forum Replies Created
- poor corner: No chance for the attackers to score
- overhit corner: The ball goes past everyone as it was hit too hard
The phrase ‘all hands on deck‘ is taken from sailing and means that everyone (the hands) needs to help out on the boat (the deck). In football we use the phrase to mean that everyone in the team (and not just the defenders) have to help out with defending. If you hear the phrase during a game it probably means that a team is under lots of pressure.
- To throw the kitchen sink at something means to try everything you can to solve a problem, to break down a barrier or defence. So, in football this phrase is used to describe a situation when one team is continuously attacking another team in an attempt to score – they are trying to break down the other side with everything they have got.
- To throw everything at is another way of saying this.
You can also look at the explanation of the phrase ‘everything but the kitchen sink‘ from UsingEnglish.com
- To play the ball = to pass
- To shepherd the ball (out) is when a defender protects the ball and allows it to run out of play. He or she does not touch it but does not allow an opponent to get to it either.
To take their feet off the gas means that a team does not play as hard as it can. It suggests that because a team was playing really well and probably winning easily they don’t play as hard in the final sections. They can relax a little knowing that they will probably win.
- Gas and pedal can be interchanged here (The gas pedal is another way of talking about the accelerator)
- The idea of an architect in football means that someone can build (or construct) attacks. The architect of an attack is the player who assists a colleague to shoot or score.
- To be all over the shop means to be completely disorganised. Another way of saying this is to be at sixes and sevens
To throw everyone (or everybody) forward means that the team are attacking with lots of players – all out attack. When a team is chasing a goal they may abandon their tactics and try to get as many players forward as possible.
He was a great keeper for Barcelona but has suffered badly through injuries – I am sure he will be back with a top team soon.
I think Valdes wants to show other clubs that he is still available as a player, he is still playing. A little exageration to emphasise this point!