play, prod, point blank

Home Forums Football Language Football Language Questions play, prod, point blank

Welcome to languagecaster.com's football language forums - the place to ask any questions you may have about the language of football. Ask about explanations of football phrases or words. You can also share your favourite cliches, phrases and interesting football headlines here.

Register | Login | Guidelines | Contact us

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Hyuna27g_
      Participant

Dear, Damian and Grell. I guess “play in” here means something like “to pass” and “to play” means to kick. Is that right?
      Also, I don’t understand the phrase “prod home” and “point blank”. What do they mean? Home is the goal.

62’GOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLL
      !! It’s Aguero again! Silva ghosts past Anita too easily to [b]play in[/b] De Bruyne, who [b]plays[/b] a first-time, low cross towards his Argentine
      team-mate who [b]prods home[/b] from [b]point-blank[/b] range at the back post. Astonishing again from the hosts.

• To play in is to pass to a team mate – it is a pass that leads to a good chance of scoring.
      • To prod home is to score from near the goal usually with not much power. The forward prodded home the ball from the rebound – the goalkeeper makes a save but the forward scored from the rebound or follow up.
      • Point blank means from a place very near or right in front of the goal
      Hyuna27g_
      Participant

Thanks very much again, Damian. I really get it now. That helps me a lot.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.