over the moon

Home Forums Football Language Football Cliches over the moon

Welcome to languagecaster.com's football language forums - the place to ask any questions you may have about the language of football. Ask about explanations of football phrases or words. You can also share your favourite cliches, phrases and interesting football headlines here.

Register | Login | Guidelines | Contact us

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mightytoft
      Participant

People say over the moon is old fashioned, is it?

grell
      Keymaster

I don’t think so, but then maybe I’m old fashioned. This phrase is used very naturally in many contexts, such as football, business, and social situations. Managers sometimes use if it in press conferences after an important win, and this headline from 21/06/2013shows it is pretty common – ‘Luna over the moon after sealing Villa move

Other phrases could be: really pleased (more formal – and a bit boring), psyched (modern, casual), chuffed (very British)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by grell.
      Hpsauce

Yes I agree that it is still a fairly common expression but the headline is also a pun as the player’s name (Luna) means ‘moon’ in Spanish.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Languagecaster

Learn English Through FootballWelcome to the website that helps students interested in football improve their English language skills. Football fans can practise with lots of free language resources, including football-language podcasts and our huge football-language glossary.

Contact Us