Football/Soccer Language: US vs UK

Home Forums Football Language Football Language Questions Football/Soccer Language: US vs UK

Welcome to languagecaster.com's football language forums - the place to ask any questions you may have about the language of football. Ask about explanations of football phrases or words. You can also share your favourite cliches, phrases and interesting football headlines here.

Register | Login | Guidelines | Contact us

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      HP Sauce
      Participant

Hi everyone,

After reading this article from the BBC on football/soccer language I was wondering if anyone knew what the following US soccer terms refer to?

a. cleats
      b. match ups
      c. on frame

Do you know of any other examples of the differences in the way we describe the same game in English? US vs UK football language.

Thanks for the post and the question.

Cleats are of course studs, match ups would be marking someone while on frame is the same as to be on target.

Does anyone have any more examples of US soccer terms?

There are some more examples of US soccer language in this BBC article.
      The Winningest team? An offensive player?

grell
      Keymaster

I’m based in Japan, so this isn’t specifically about US vs UK football language. In Japan, they use a lot of words based on English when they play football:

Nice save = nice Kee (nice keeper)
      Nice shot = Nigh-shoo (nice shoot)
      Shirt = uni (uniform)

Some are much closer to the original English

Pass = Passu
      Cross = Crossu

My favourite, though is

minus, which means a pass to someone behind you.

Mightytoft
      Participant

In US English, can I say the losingest team as well?

Unfortunately no!

HP Sauce
      Participant

I was asked by a friend from the US about whether the phrase ‘icing the kicker‘ was used in soccer. Any ideas?

I think (according to this Wikipedia article) ‘icing the kicker‘ is used in NFL to disturb the goal kicker so for example a time out will be called just before kicking for goal. This is not really used in football though keepers will try and put the penalty taker off by moving on his/her line or by talking to the player in the hopes of ‘psyching’ him/her out.

Interesting article from ESPN on Bob Bradley’s use of language.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Languagecaster

Learn English Through FootballWelcome to the website that helps students interested in football improve their English language skills. Football fans can practise with lots of free language resources, including football-language podcasts and our huge football-language glossary.

Contact Us