- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
The International Break
Today’s football phrase is ‘the international break‘ which is used to describe the period during a season when clubs do not play regular league games as many of their players go and represent their countries. League games are suspended – clubs take a break – for a weekend as European Championship or World Cup qualifiers take place. The International Break.
- Example: The international break came at a good time for Tottenham as they needed to organise their team a little more.
- Example: The international break and the transfer window in September mean that clubs find it difficult to find any rhythm.