Football Language Quiz: Gap Fill – 1998 World Cup England vs Argentina
- a high tempo: Played at a fast pace
- gave away a penalty: To concede a penalty; Seaman committed the foul
- took Argentina captain Diego Simeone down: He fouled Simeone
- drove the ball: Hit the ball really hard; an unstoppable shot
- exhilarating: Really exciting
- smashing home a shot: Scoring with a really hard shot
- end-to-end action: The two teams attacked each other in a relentless manner
- retaliation: When a player hits back at another player
- an uphill task: A really difficult job
- The complexion of the game changed: The style of the game changed
- backs to the wall‘ performance: It was difficult for the team but they fought hard even though they were not favourites to win.
- an infringement: A foul
- waived away by the referee: The referee said no; the ref turned down the appeal
- rifled one in off the post: He hit the ball really hard and it hit the inside of the post and went in – he still scored.
Free football language podcast for learners of English brought to you by Damian and Damon. Interviews, match reviews, predictions all with full language support for football fans around the world who wish to improve their English language skills.