Football Language: (a) Curler

This post explains curlera word to describe a shot ‘a curler’.

  • Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below.
  • You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.

Football Language: A Curler

A curler is a shot that curves in the air. It moves out and back in. It can be used as a verb, to curl the ball or shot, but is often used as a noun, a curler. This type of shot can also be called a ‘banana shot’, but this phrase is now outdated.The player uses the inside of their boot to apply spin on the ball.See also, screamer, volley, bicycle kick.

Example: Fulham created the first chance when a left-foot curler from Lewis Holtby was palmed away by Krul. (BBC 15 March 2014)

Example: He passed to England international Lallana, who released Jay Rodriguez only for the striker’s curler to drift narrowly over. (BBC 22 Dec. 2013)

Hosted by

I was born and brought up near Chester in the north west of England. I have always loved playing and talking about sport, especially football!
Google | Facebook | Twitter | Mail | Website

Join the discussion

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More from this show

CEpisode 736