Share:
Notifications
Clear all

play, prod, point blank

RSS

Topic starter

Dear, Damian and Grell. I guess "play in" here means something like "to pass" and "to play" means to kick. Is that right?
Also, I don't understand the phrase "prod home" and "point blank". What do they mean? Home is the goal.

62'GOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLL
!! It's Aguero again! Silva ghosts past Anita too easily to play in De Bruyne, who plays a first-time, low cross towards his Argentine
team-mate who prods home from point-blank range at the back post. Astonishing again from the hosts.

2 Answers
  • To play in is to pass to a team mate - it is a pass that leads to a good chance of scoring.
  • To prod home is to score from near the goal usually with not much power. The forward prodded home the ball from the rebound - the goalkeeper makes a save but the forward scored from the rebound or follow up.
  • Point blank means from a place very near or right in front of the goal
Topic starter

Thanks very much again, Damian. I really get it now. That helps me a lot.

Languagecaster

Learn English Through FootballWelcome to the website that helps students interested in football improve their English language skills. Football fans can practise with lots of free language resources, including football-language podcasts and our huge football-language glossary.