take charge of, pla...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

take charge of, plant, host it in, worked back into the mixer, push away, swallowed

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Hyuna27g_
(@hyuna27g_)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hello. I have a lot of difficulities understanding the following vocabulary. Take charge of: Plant a header: to place a header. Host it in: Push away: Worked back into the mixer. To be swallowed: What do they all mean? Lucas gets up to take charge of the free-kick that he won, and he hoists it in for Luiz, who plants a header that Maury pushes away spectacularly! The ball is worked back into the mixer for Cavani almost immediately, but another headed attempt is swallowed by the keeper.

Posted : 04/10/2015 3:16 pm
grell
(@grell)
Trusted Member Admin

OK, let's take a look at all of these words:

Take charge of: This means takes responsibility; in this context, Lucas decides he will take the free kick
Plant a header: to place a header. To direct a header; a controlled header
Hoist it in: Send a high pass into the penalty box, usually with several players waiting (so from a corner, free kick, or a winger's cross)
Push away: saves, but without catching the ball
Worked back into the mixer: crossed into the penalty area and a group of waiting players
To be swallowed: Saved; caught

Hope that helps!

Posted : 04/10/2015 3:15 pm
Learn English through Football
(@admin)
Honorable Member Admin

Into the mixer is a great phrase. It suggests a real sense of desperation to get an equaliser or a late winner, i.e. hit it and hope!

Posted : 04/10/2015 4:25 pm
Amadeu
(@amadeu)
Trusted Member Registered

Nice words...

i liked a lot "into the mixer" I didnt know.

Posted : 05/10/2015 8:02 am
Hyuna27g_
(@hyuna27g_)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Thank you so much again, Grell and Damian, for helping me understand the phrases. I fully get it now.

Posted : 05/10/2015 8:03 am

Languagecaster

Learn English Through FootballWelcome to the website that helps students interested in football improve their English language skills. Football fans can practise with lots of free language resources, including football-language podcasts and our huge football-language glossary.

Recent Forum Posts