- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below and listening to the audio.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
[print_link] | Subscribe: Weekly Football Phrase
This week’s English for football expression is semi-finalist which refers to the teams involved in the last four, or semi-finals, of a competition such as the FA Cup in English club football or the World Cup. To reach the semi-finals a team will usually have to win knock-out matches against many teams, including the last 16 and the quarter-finals (the last 8). Semi-finalist
- Example: Liverpool beat Blackburn in the replay of their quarter-final match to join the other semi-finalists Aston Villa, Arsenal and Reading.
- Example: The four semi-finalists at the last World Cup in Brazil were Germany, Argentina, the Netherlands and hosts Brazil.