- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below and listening to the audio.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
[print_link] | Subscribe: Weekly Football Phrase
The verb to eliminate is used to describe a situation when a team has been knocked out of a competition – the team is no longer involved in that competition. For example, ‘Fiorentina eliminated Tottenham’, while the passive form is also used quite frequently: ‘Spurs were eliminated in the last 32 of the competition’. The noun form – elimination – is also common in football (‘The team’s elimination at the semi-final stage’, for example). (To) Eliminate/Elimination.
- Example: Liverpool were eliminated from the Europa League on penalties in Turkey
- Example: The elimination of the favourites allowed the underdogs a chance of winning the cup