- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below and listening to the audio.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
[print_link] | Subscribe: Weekly Football Phrase
David and Goliath
David and Goliath is a famous biblical story in which David manages to defeat the giant Goliath against all odds – no one was expecting him to win but he did. In football we use this phrase when describing a match between a team with little or no chance of winning against a strong favourite. In the upcoming 2015 Asian Cup, Asian powerhouse Japan will face newcomers Palestine in their opening match – a real David and Goliath battle. David and Goliath
- Example: Yeovil Town from the third tier of English football versus Manchester United of the Premier League is a real David and Goliath affair.
- Example: Palestine are taking on Japan in the 2015 Asian Cup – a real example of a David and Goliath match.