- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below and listening to the audio.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
[print_link] | Subscribe: Weekly Football Phrase
Club World Cup
The Club World Cup (FIFA Club World Cup) is a competition to determine the world’s best team of the year. The tournament features the winners of all six FIFA confederations: Europe; South America; Asia, Oceania; CONCACAF and Africa, as well as a team from the host nation. The tournament is played in a knock-out fashion with the two strongest teams (from Europe and South America) joining in the semi-finals. The first competition in the current format took place in 2006.
- Example: Bayern Munich won the FIFA Club World Cup in 2013 when they defeated Raja Casablanca 2-0 in the final.
- Example: The 2014 FIFA Club World Cup takes place in Morocco in 2014.