- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below and listening to the audio.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
- This post also features in our podcast show, along with a main report and our weekly predictions.
[print_link] | Subscribe: Weekly Football Phrase
(to) Head home
In football there are many ways to describe scoring a goal and today we explain the phrase ‘to head home‘ which is a goal scored with the head. The noun ‘home‘ here refers to the net or the goal so to head home means to score a goal with your head. We can say that the striker headed home from close range – he scored with a header from very near the goal. To head home
- The striker headed home after a wonderful cross from the left.
- Example: The player headed home after good work by the captain set him up.