In this post, we explain the football phrase ‘to hammer’.
- Find out more about this phrase by reading the transcript below.
- You can also find many more examples of soccer vocabulary by going to our football cliches page here and our huge football glossary here.
This phrase is used in football when one team beats another team easily. It also refers to a very hard shot:
(a) To thrash
, crush, beat another team heavily.
(b) To hit the ball hard; to strike the ball with power
- Example: Ronaldo hammered the ball home from outside the box
- Example: Manchester City were hammered 8-1 by Middlesbrough in 2008
- Example: Spain hammered Italy 4-0 in the 2012 European Championship final
Subscribe: Football Glossary | Football Glossary Page
Check out our glossary of footballing phrases here
If you have any suggestions, contact us at email@example.com